Ama, honora atque oboedi in aeternum

"Precisely. Gentlemen, the only way to achieve the impossible, is to believe it's possible."
 - Alice in Wonderland

     Hope the title of the post doesn't keep the readers away. "Love, Honour and Obey forever" (I can feel the stares of married friends). Don't worry boys; I'm joining the bandwagon soon enough. But FYI, another 6 months more before I add "Obey Forever" to my current set of responsbilities.
     Jokes apart (its never apart in my cliched set of jokes), I wanted to narrate the greatest love story scripted (since it is my blog, I would take all the credit for being part of it). Having spent over 26 years in various phases of life, I've seen various blossoming relationships nipped in the bud. I have also seen my share of K-Jo and YRaj films (excluding the ones with Tushar Kapoor or Uday Chopra in the lead) that have dwelled on the intense love in our Indian veins (most of them set in NYC though). And then there exists the genre of Gautam Menon's movies with VTV setting the trend for ideal romantic trysts in our community. Parents 1 - Lovers 0.
     Coming back to my script. As the curtain raises, we are confronted by a set of school kids in their mid-teens. Confused, skeptical and out to change the world. Set in an era where mobile phones are still a technological advancement in magazines. Every guy hums a tune out aloud, "paalpoalae padhinaaril, enakkoru girlfriend vaenum" (Forgive my subtitles, attention to detail has affected the translation. Milk-like sixteen, I girlfriend want). Or, Damn my age, I want a girlfriend!!
     The central protagonist didn't think much different. What better than to flaunt a cute girl on your side. So he approached Cupid to set his expectations right. [Please note that it won't be reminded that I get to play my favourite roles in this blog]. The easier thing for our hero was to watch a couple of midnight episodes of Malaika Arora displaying her assets intelligence on MTV. Darn, we didn't even have cable tv then!
      So the dialogues were taught, screenplay set and camera rolled (Literally rolled!).
     
     Now that we're done watching a nice song and dance sequence, let's get back to the plot which is way far from above (Didn't someone read out the prologue that informed us about the variation of the actual product from the demo?). And by-the-by, the above song is from my dad's generation. We did have the bell-bottomed pants though. Too young to have such big beards.
    Our hero walked up to the girl, looked her in the eye and said, "Excuse me, hum chlormint kyun khaate hain? Will you be my girlfriend?" The girl shied at the question, but recovered quickly and responded, "but.... I haven't even thought about you like that. In fact, when i think about it, I don't even know you." Quick as a bullet, character A responded, "if not you, I'll find someone else." It might have left Romeo heartbroken, but our man wasn't the sentimental types.
     Fast forward. Cellphones, laptops and social networking sites ruled the roost. Indians replaced the Indian Postal department with Orkut. Zuckerberg might have been a household name in the US, but he was plain annonymous in India. Our central characters met up on one of these chat rooms 5-6 years after their initial rendezvous. The following conversation ensued....

    .... at the end of which the fell in love.
     The lovers spoke at home about the relationship and all hell broke loose (Just before we get to the interval, there's always that scene that holds the key to the rest of the movie).
Intermission - to be continued.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open book

Malus domestica...

Romancing the language