La Femme




“For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.” ―Virginia Wolf

33% reservation. 1 day in the year. When God proposed the creation of women, probably this was the best deal he offered them. And it would be injustice to deny them adulation on their special day. So here’s a tribute to the special ones in my life.

“…the designation of a wife in India, of the Hindu wife, is higher and grander than that of an Empress. She is called Devi” ― Virchand Raghavji Gandhi

Marriage is a convenient compromise for men. We continue to expect our laundry cleaned and ironed, hot meals served at the table (apart from the occasional breakfast in bed) and the remote control resting in our palm. Probably this is my one opportunity to thank my lovely wife, Sneha for bearing with me on all of the above.

We do have our occasional disagreements, but it helps our bond grow stronger as a husband and wife. Sneha has been an integral part of my life over the last 4 years, and a pillar of support. On the outside, our personalities are like chalk and cheese. But as a pair, we share all the love, happiness and romance in each other's company and feel contented with this relationship. We're perfect for each other and I always know and trust that one person loves me above everything else. To the central woman in my life, I love you.

“But there's a story behind everything. How a picture got on a wall. How a scar got on your face. Sometimes the stories are simple, and sometimes they are hard and heartbreaking. But behind all your stories is always your mother's story, because hers is where yours begin.” - Mitch Albom

My mother is one of the nicest people I’ve met in my life. Perhaps all mothers are like that. Their whole life is about everyone else, barring themselves.

Sometimes I try to put myself in her shoes, and think from her perspective. At 18, she was a trained classical dancer and wanted to make a career out of it. Eventually it remained a dream, and she has spent the major part of the last three decades taking care of her family and the house. And I have always considered myself as one of those lucky children of my generation who had the good fortune of a mother who stayed at home and took good care of us.

My mother will forever remain in my life as an embodiment of strength and sacrifice. I have no foresight on where my future lies, but my responsibilities as a son will be fulfilled till the end. If there’s one wish in my life, it’s to be born again as your son.

“When every door closes, a window is bound to open.”

When I think of characters in fairy tales, they all seem to be so distant and unrelated. Except one, the fairy godmother in Cinderella. Because I have always put a face to it, of someone I know and revere.

Friend, Guide, Idol – Padma has been that and more over the last 7 years of my life. She has played an important part in molding my professional life emphasizing on the importance of ethics and values. On the personal front, she has always lent an ear to my troubles, providing solutions to most problems. In today’s corporate world, where greed and ambition have superseded humanitarian values, Padma is an angel. My fairy godmother.

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh?" he whispered.
"Yes, Piglet?"
"Nothing," said Piglet, taking Pooh's hand. "I just wanted to be sure of you.”

I have had my share of friends over the last 28 years. But if I had to choose one for whom I would take a bullet, it would be a daunting task. Yet, even when I write this, only one person comes to my mind. A person who has been there for a long time now and still hasn’t left my side.

I’ve known Sangi since she was 2, and we’ve been close buddies since then. The best part of our friendship is the fact that we have never had a fight, absolutely none (at least none that I can recall). And I do know that through the years, I’ve teased, tortured and tested her patience to the hilt, and still got away with it.

As a friend, Sangeetha (rather Doctor Sangeetha) always understood my life and we didn't have to go through the routine of providing excuses or explanations. Apart from the fact that she never missed a call (even at 4 am), and always had the patience to hear me out. But over the years, there have been times when I feel that I never appreciated her enough.

So here goes. For as long as I’ve known you, you have been my best buddy and one of the best women that I’ve ever known.

“You educate a man; you educate a man. You educate a woman; you educate a generation.”

There are many others who have played their part in my life. Cameos that have touched and transformed my life for the better. But, above all of them stand these four women.

It’s true, and about time that we acknowledge it, Behind every successful man, there are many women.

Happy Women’s Day 2013.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Malus domestica...

An open book

Romancing the language