Cogito ergo sum

"The great mystery is not that we should have been thrown down here at random between the profusion of matter and that of the stars; it is that from our very prison we should draw, from our own selves, images powerful enough to deny our own nothingness."

     The first time I stayed away from home for longer than a month was in 2006. I had moved to Bangalore and my company had provided me with a guest house for 2 weeks. I wasn't sure about further plans, when I ran into a friend from college. A few of them had rented out a place for 4k. Over the last 5 years, I've switched 3 more houses and lost count of my fellow inhabitants. There were 10 people initially, dwindled to six within 3 months. Our second home was an abode for all fellow job-seekers.
     In between my third and fourth homes, I managed a stint in Delhi and the US over a year and a half. That period allowed me a phase of introspection, a chance to spend time with myself while the world around me continued hurriedly. But for most part of the last 5 years, I lived with a crowd. A crowd of people who acknowledged my liberty and freedom. My actions would evolve from the spurts of imagination; late-night trips without a destination, sleep and awake at will, blogging my thoughts and a bunch of other escapades. But life is about to take a 180 degree turn.
    Marriage is deemed to be an understanding between two individuals, unlike the synchrony between room-mates. And marriage comes with an inventory of expectations. A lot of modifications will be expected from my current lifestyle. I need to prepare myself to change overnight, curb my random decisions and term it as mature. My "I" would be replaced by "We" shortly. The expressway of my current life would need a tab on the speed and direction.
Over the last week or so, I've let my inhibitions go down to hell. I had a drinking binge on Saturday, waited 10 hours to hear Hetfield croon "Nothing else matters" and then soaked myself under a waterfall on Tuesday. I'm excited about marriage, no denying that. But, I want to ensure that my bachelorhood ends on a high. The countdown has begun, but 10 days is a pretty long time.
     Marriage is a great thing. Something that's supposedly made in heaven should have its plus points. But for me the clock of singularity is ticking, a mere reminescence of the glorious past. Till then, Cogito ergo sum. I think, therefore I am.
"rover, wanderer
nomad, vagabond
call me what you will
but I'll take my time anywhere
free to speak my mind anywhere
and I'll redefine anywhere
anywhere I may roam"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An open book

Malus domestica...

Romancing the language